Can we relive DEMOCRACY?

World when you promised me life I obeyed,
When you said you would give me a chance I believed,
When you abducted me I comprehended,
When you promised to feed me i was hopeful,
You said you would take care of me!

I appointed you a leader in confidence,
That in your supremacy all concerns would be met,
All our questions be answered,
Poverty be washed away!

I put my faith in you!
Crossed a textbox to ensure that in power you were placed,
Spent my last penny to ensure I comprehend to the country’s demise,
Yet I was left unpaid, unemployed, starving, resorting to other means.

Today I am a prostitute, I sleep for money,
Today I am a thief, I steal for money,
Today I am a beggar, I beg to eat,
Today I am a fraudster, I lie for money,
Today I am drug dealer, I kill for money!

I am all that I have never anticipated -
For You dropped me unexpectedly,
You left me unattended and never looked back,
Oh how I wish to be a better person,
Oh how I wish for our country to be in a better state.

A proud South African I am,
Or used to be,
Until this...,
All that we are witnessing.

Demise has now become our mission,
Our vision as a nation has been blurred out of sight,
And out of touch.
Whatever happened to UBUNTU, HUMANITY AND VALUES?

Constitutionalism? What, you redefined that too?
To suit your interests?
Acting ultra virus and still finding justification for your actions,
While secret societal meetings with the Judge are your ticket to freedom,
Oh how you have contravened your dignity,
Trampling on the nations rights to dignity.
Because of your being unaware of the power held by the Bill of Rights.

Our Nation, an Animal Farm,
Ridiculed by its kind,
How two legs were bad and four legs good,
Has been altered to four legs being good and two better.

You found your feet and you chopped mine.
Confiding in you feels like selling my soul to the devil,
Oh Nation how I long to sing the National Anthem with pride,
To relive our Democracy.

-ANDISWA MADIKANE

Note: This poems was an inspiration from Mamphela Ramphele's book titled "Conversations with my Sons & Daughters". Her challenging the Youth has inspired me to question, speak out and address the issues that we are facing as a country. Bear in mind though, that this piece is not to condone crime or any of that sort, but it sheds light as to what is occurring in our society. And how the people are reacting to changes and the effect it has on them. This here are experiences of each individual in the society. It is a translation of the walks of life of those people we do not pay much attention to. Coupled with an appeal for an alteration. Change!

Picture Credit: http://penguinbooks.co.za/book/conversations-my-sons-and-daughters


Comments

  1. Can I applaud you for being so critical of our country.The youth of today tend to steer away from any political matters and as a result there is a decline in youth leaders. We need voices like you to continue to educate our nation. Our democracy cannot just be a word-it needs to be felt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True! My degree has been very influential in my being interested in the issue of Democracy, and Dr Maphela's book has provided ways on how to tackle the situation. I believe we all have something to fight for. Our Constitution continues to be misinterpreted resulting in us not knowing what we are entitled to and the government has not even provided a quarter of our entitlements. To regain that, we have to fight. Fight verbally, by educating the masses on various aspects concerning our nation. I pray I uphold this spirit and spread it to the universe, with the help of other allies and moreso with Christ placing His foot forward in all that I embark in.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Willpower: The Fair-weather Friend

Rise Above Your Trauma: The Keys to Achieving Personal Development

Discovery of the blog title